In Marion County, we join the Surgeon General & state leaders in recognizing & responding to the clear need for suicide prevention. Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among youth ages 10-24.** For every completed suicide, there are many more young people affected by suicide. In Oregon, nearly 1 in 12 eighth graders in Oregon and 1 in 16 eleventh graders reported that they had attempted suicide in the past 12 months.* An alarming 16% of eighth graders and 14% of eleventh graders reported seriously considering suicide in the past 12months. *
*Or Healthy Teen Survey
** OHD Youth Suicide Prevention Fact Sheet
If you or someone you know exhibits any of the following signs: Seek help as soon as possible by contacting a mental health professional or by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.
- Threatening to hurt or kill oneself
- Talking about wanting to hurt or kill oneself
- Looking for ways to kill oneself by seeking access to firearms, available pills, or other means
- Talking or writing about death, dying, or suicide when these actions are out of the ordinary for the person
- Feeling hopeless
- Feeling rage or uncontrolled anger or seeking revenge
- Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities - seemingly without thinking
- Feeling trapped - like there's no way out
- Increasing alcohol or drug use
- Withdrawing from friends, family, & society
- Feeling anxious, agitated, or unable to sleep or sleeping all the time
- Experiencing dramatic mood changes
- Seeing no reason for living or having no sense of purpose in life
Local places to go for help:
- School Counselors
- School nurses
- Personal Doctor
- Personal Counselors
- Emergency Room
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The Trevor Project
- For gay, lesbian, transsexual, bisexual youths. 24 Hours per day/7 days per week
- Youth Crisis Line
- The 9 Line is a general hotline for teenagers. They can help you with many issues, including suicide, temporary housing, etc. 1.800.999.9999
How to Respond
How to Be Helpful to Someone Who is Threatening Suicide
- Be direct. Talk openly and matter-of-factly about suicide.
- Be willing to listen. Allow expressions of feelings. Accept the feelings.
- Be non-judgmental. Don't debate whether suicide is right or wrong, or whether feelings are good or bad. Don't lecture on the value of life.
- Get involved. Become available. Show interest and support.
- Don't dare him or her to do it.
- Don't act shocked. This will put distance between you.
- Don't be sworn to secrecy. Seek support.
- Offer hope that alternatives are available but do not offer glib reassurance.
- Take action. Remove means, such as guns or stockpiled pills.
- Get help from persons or agencies specializing in crisis intervention & suicide prevention.
- Refer them to the suicide prevention hotline or website listed below
We use 2 Gatekeeper programs
- QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) – a 1.5- 3 hour training for everyone. http://www.qprinstitute.com/ Organizations wishing to host a free training should contact Susan McLauchlin for more information. Phone: 503-981-5851 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) – a 2-day training for those who are likely to interact with suicidal individuals. http://www.livingworks.net/ Interested participants should contact Susan McLauchlin for class & registration information.
Technical Assistance in adopting and implementing the age appropriate, evidence based RESPONSE curriculum is also available through the grant. The RESPONSE program is appropriate for high school students and staff.
RESPONSE Implementation includes:
- Review of school policy
- School will identify and train 2 staff in ASIST
- School will train all staff in intervention skills
- School will obtain active parental consent for youth’s participation
- School will implement RESPONSE classroom lessons (four 50-minute lessons)
For program information see https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/PREVENTIONWELLNESS/SAFELIVING/SUICIDEPREVENTION/Pages/SuicideInterventionTrainings.aspx#a4a15354-327d-4d5d-9dde-012596982105