Marion County Counts
Why the census is important to our community
Preparations are underway for the 2020 U.S. Decennial Census. Marion County and the City of Salem are committed to partnering with the U.S. Census bureau to help ensure a complete and accurate count in 2020.
An accurate census count helps planners, businesses, service providers, and others making decisions on housing needs, infrastructure, and business growth. More than $1 billion per year in federal and state funding is allocated to Marion County based on census data.
Census data helps determine how many seats each state will have in the U.S. House of Representative – in 2020 Oregon is predicted to gain a seat should all Oregonians participate.
Programs that receive federal allocations based on census data include:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Supplemental Nutrition for Women, Infants, and Children, and the school lunch program
- Health insurance for seniors and children
- Section 8 Housing Vouchers and Housing Assistance Payments Program
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance
- Highway planning and construction
- And many more
Local communities and local programs rely on an accurate count. We need your help to ensure that all residents of Marion County are counted.
U.S. Census Bureau begins address canvassing
The U.S. Census Bureau recently announced field workers will start address canvassing to improve and refine their list of households nationwide. The bureau has verified 65% of addresses using satellite imagery and is now verifying the remaining 35% of households.
In Oregon, address canvassing began on August 18 and concludes in mid-October.
Census Bureau employees will walk through neighborhoods across the county checking addresses not verified with satellite data. Census employees will have badges and briefcases indicating their affiliation with the Census Bureau. They will knock on doors and ask a few simple questions to verify the address and any additional living quarters on the property for inclusion in the census.
Employees will introduce themselves as a Census Bureau employee, show their official government ID badge, and explain the purpose of the visit. People may also ask them for a picture ID from another source to confirm their identity.
For more information on address canvassing, visit the Census Bureau website.
Read the full press release.
Help our community: Work for the U.S. Census Bureau
The U.S. Census Bureau is currently hiring for the 2020 Census. The positions are temporary with varying pay ranges.
For area census office jobs apply at https://www.census.gov/about/census-careers/opportunities/location/regional-office-careers.html.
For enumerator jobs apply online at https://2020census.gov/en/jobs.html.
By working for the Census Bureau, your community has a special opportunity to help make the 2020 Census an accurate and complete count. There are so many reasons our nation needs to be counted completely and accurately. The count happens every 10 years with the decennial census, which influences how more than $675 billion from more than 100 federal programs are distributed to states and localities each year. Here’s some of what the census numbers effect:
- School lunch programs
- Community development grants
- Road and school construction
- Medical services
- Business locations
For more information, applicants may also call 1-855-JOB-2020.