2017 Recycling Art Calendar Contest
Winning Illustrations will be used in the 2018 Art Calendar
Who Can Win?
Any student (K-12) who lives in Marion County can enter to win. Families of Marion County Public Works and the Mid-Valley Garbage & Recycling Haulers Association are not eligible to win this contest.
Prizes & Award
A $50 gift card will be awarded to twelve winners in the following grade group categories: K-3rd Grades, 4th - 6th Grades, 7th - 9th Grades and 10th - 12th Grades. One of these four categories will have the opportunity to win the Grand Prize. This includes a $100 Fred Meyer gift card plus a spot on the front of the calendar. Also, the teacher whose student’s art work is selected for the grand prize will receive a $500 gift card for classroom use. Selected winners will be honored at a televised Marion County Board of Commissioners meeting.
1) Contest will begin May 1, 2017.
2) This year’s theme will be “Repair & Reuse”. Students are encouraged to consider ways that they can reduce waste and minimize consumption by repairing and reusing items instead of replacing. From an environmental perspective, reducing the amount of things that we consume in the first place is the best way to help the earth. That’s because it takes a lot of energy and natural resources to produce the things that we use. In fact, the vast majority of most products’ environmental impacts happen when the products are manufactured, not when they are used or discarded. So reusing what we have is one of the best ways to help keep our planet healthy! Some examples of items students can repair and reuse include flat bicycle tires, ripped jeans, torn backpacks and even broken binders. We’re looking for creative ways that kids can help reduce waste at home and school.
3) Ask the students to draw a colorful picture using crayons, colored pencils or marker pens on 8 1/2" x 11" (Landscape) white paper.
4) Ask students to lightly pencil their full name, grade, name of their teacher and school on the back of their drawing.
5) Students will be allowed to submit three drawings.
Entries must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 06, 2017.
Mid-Valley Garbage & Recycling Association
3680 Brookllake Rd NE Salem, OR 97303
or drop them off at Marion County Public Works -Environmental Services (5155 Silverton Rd. NE, Salem, OR 97305).
Past Recycled Art Calendars